Poker news | Jan 24, 2022
Nominees for 2022 Global Poker Awards Announced
By RTR Alex
This year's Global Poker Awards will host many familiar faces from the world of poker, with the likes of Adam Friedman, Michael Adamo and Phil Hellmuth to name a few.
Some previous nominees will be returning to the event, with broadcasters Jamie Kerstetter, Joe Stapleton and Jeff Platt. Beyond that, Doug Polk and French poker vlogger Johan "YoH ViraL" Guilbert are also making second appearances.
Voting remains open for the Poker Personality of the Year award - fans can vote for one of four nominees: Johan Guilbert, Greg "Greg Goes All In" Liow, Jonathan Little and Japan's Masato Yokosawa.
Full Nomination List by Category:
Best Final Table Performance
All nominees for this award earned a place on the list for their final-table efforts in the World Series of Poker. Daniel Cates will be looking to follow in Phil Hui's footsteps and take home the award for his victory in the WSOP Players Championship.
Alongside Cates, is Main Event winner Koray Aldemir and three-time bracelet winner Jeremy Ausmus. Finally, Adam Friedman's third consecutive $10,000 Dealers Choice victory earns him the final spot on the list.
GPI Breakout Player
These four players secured their nomination for the GPI breakout player with their stellar performances in 2021. Guilbert's second nomination arrives here after his title win at the SHRB Europe.
He is joined by MSPT Season 12 Player of the Year, Kyna England as well as 27 year-old Chris Brewer, who put on quite a show at the 2021 Poker Masters. Vanessa Kade takes the final spot for this award with her PokerStars Sunday Millions win and impressive performance in the PokerGO Tour.
Pokerstars ambassador, Lex Veldhuis, has won Best Streamer every single time since the inception of the Global Poker awards and looks to defend his title once again. He is nominated alongside GGPoker ambassador Kevin Martin who closed out 2021 with a massive $207,000 score.
In the last two spots are Ben Spragg, who recently won his second WCOOP title, and American streamer Jonathan "apestylespoker" Van Fleet.
Players Choice: Toughest Opponent
A players choice award is always highly coveted, where a nomination shows great respect from the whole community of pro competitors. The Toughest Opponent award could indeed be the most desired, with nominations suggesting that any player who joined you at the table experienced greatness.
Stephen Chidwick returns as reigning champion but comes against some heavy hitters, with the likes of Michael Addamo and Ali Imsirovic - both two-time nominees. The only newbie to the category is David Peters, looking to make his mark versus these GPA veterans.
Best Live Reporter
These four nominees are all past and present Pokernews reporters, giving the brand a clean-sweep in this category in a way.
World Poker Tour Reporter Mickey Doft and PokerGO Senior Content Manager Tim Duckworth are up for the award against Pokernews' own Christian Zetzsche and US Executive Editor Chad Holloway. As leaders in their field, they'll be hoping for recognition of their hard work by taking home this prestigious award.
Best Media Content: Photo
The following nominees make their appearance at the 3rd Global Poker Awards for capturing the most iconic moments of the year - from Adam Friedman's infamous battle with Hellmuth to the indoor umbrella of Shack-Harris. All iconic moments, but who will come out on top?
- Antonio Abrego for PokerGO: Adam Friedman defeats Phil Hellmuth for 3rd straight WSOP 10K Dealers Choice title
- Hayley Hochstetler: The End of an Era
- Enrique Malfavon for PokerGO: The WSOP Main Event Bubble Bursts
- Danny Maxwell for PokerNews/WSOP: Brandon Shack-Harris and his umbrella at WSOP
Best Trophy: Fans Choice
Showing off their silverware, these four trophy winners have been voted in by the fans for the biggest and most impressive trophies of the year.
- Mike Sexton WPT Champions Cup
- MSPT South Dakota State Championship
- Seminole Hard Rock Poker Open Championship
- WPTDeepStacks Gold Coast
Best Industry Person
- Tony Burns
- Jack Effel
- Mori Eskandani
- Matt Savage
Best Tournament Director
- Paul Campbell
- Justin Hammer
- Ray Pulford
- Andy Tillman
- Poker in the Ears (James Hartigan & Joseph Stapleton for Pokerstars)
- The Chip Race Poker Podcast (David Lappin & Dara O’Kearney for Unibet Poker)
- The Doug Polk Podcast (Doug Polk)
- The Heart of Poker (Kara Scott)
- Jamie Kerstetter
- Ali Nejad
- Jeff Platt
- Joe Stapleton
Best Media Content: Written
- Lance Bradley for PocketFives: Isai Scheinberg: His Company, His Legacy, and How Black Friday Impacted Both
- Alex O’Brien for BBC: How a $10k poker win changed how I think
- D’Arcy Maine for ESPN.com: While battling brain cancer, Michael Graydon lives World Series of Poker dream
- Charles Rabin for Miami Herald: From immigration ‘cage’ to newest poker champ at Hard Rock. An Afghan refugee’s luck turns
Best Media Content: Video
- Paul Graydon & Andrew Neeme: The Villain Who Stole Christmas
- Last Call Pokeridokumentii
- Jeff Platt for PokerGO: “Stand Up for Me, Please!”
- Remko Rinkema for PokerGO: Run it Back with Stefanie Ungar
- Run It Once: Meet The Jungleman
Fans Choice: Best Hand
- Daniel "Jungleman" Cates gets Leng to fold in 50K PPC
- Doug Polk makes epic fold vs. Phil Hellmuth on High Stakes Poker
- Nicholas Rigby pulls monster bluff during late stages of WSOP Main Event
- Quads over Quads on Day 3 of the WSOP Main Event (Chang Liu vs Ugur Secilmis)
Fans Choice: Poker Personality
- Johan "YoH ViraL" Guilbert
- Greg "Greg Goes All In" Liow
- Jonathan Little
- Masato Yokosawa
- Seminole Hard Rock Rock ‘N’ Roll Poker Open Opening Event
- World Series of Poker Main Event
- Wynn Mystery Bounty
- Wynn Millions
- Jaman Burton
- Ryan Depaulo
- Brad Owen
- Ethan "Rampage" Yau
- Will Jaffe
- Jamie Kerstetter
- Kitty Kuo
- Kevin Mathers